Friday, October 26, 2012

Small Collections Herbarium Workshop

Hello everyone,

Last weekend we had some exciting things going on ! The CMC Herbarium hosted the "Small Collections Herbarium Workshop" here on campus. Botanists from all over Michigan and the Mid West participated in the workshop and learned a bit more about digitizing their  herbaria! Basically the wokshop passed the following message: " You can digitize your herbarium and those that did before can help you with this process."

It started at 9:00 am and went untill 6:00 pm. It was definetly a big day, but also very very informative!

Abigail and I participated on the talk " The bottle neck of pre-digitization curation: How do I prepare to digitize?" which was very exciting. It was my first time talking at a conference. I usually present posters which is a bit different :)

I talked about the process of verifying the names of the herbarium specimens! The process is detailed on the PPT slides below!



 I also talked about the lessons I learned while working in the herbarium for the past 5 months!
As you can see below, it involves a lot of learning in the field of plant systematics and taxonomy!


Thank you so much for reading our blog and have a wonderful day,

Emilie

No comments:

Post a Comment