Friday, February 22, 2013

First Week on the Job

New Intern Here!

I have worked a total of three shifts this week and have already learned so much!

 On Monday, Adriane gave me an introduction to the Herbarium and put me right to work mounting specimens. Today Abigail gave me the low-down on the organization of the Herbarium and the basics of Digitizing the specimens. Though slightly overwhelmed, these projects were actually really fun and interesting.  I usually like to be the one to collect the specimens, whatever specimens they may be, but it was really interesting to see the steps that are taken after the plants are dried. After learning how to mount, I now know the importance of collecting a specimen that it can not only fit on a mounting page, but can also fit an accessioning number, a label, a bar code, and have space for annotations. 

A little bit about me: I am a conflicted Senior with a major in English (with a concentration in Creative Writing) and a minor in Biology. With so many interests, I am having a hard time focusing in on one career path but I hope to one day write for National Geographic or Smithsonian magazine to combine my love for writing and science. Working for the Herbarium is a great opportunity to start putting my skills to the test. I heard about working for the Herbarium from my professor, Dr. Monfils, who understood my plight of indecisiveness and offered me a position writing protocols, helping with P.R. and doing various other tasks.



The first impression I had of the Herbarium was the extreme, and somewhat overwhelming, orderliness of the facility. The strict organization is a tad intimidating. The CMC Herbarium works under an organizational system based on the organization of Edward G. Voss, and Voss' system is based off a proposition by Engler and Prantl. Under this filing system, specimens are arranged by Family. Within each Family, specimens are organized alphabetically by Genus and Specific Epithet.

A simple and clear-cut system, but in handling so many specimens at a time, one can get easily confused. Abigail gave me some pointers on patterns I should use stay organized, but I can already tell that making those pointers into conscious habits is going to be essential. Despite the initial overwhelming feelings, I can already tell that I will like working here and this experience is going to improve my organization, communication, and critical thinking skills.



No comments:

Post a Comment