Monday, May 14, 2012

3rd Annual Meeting of the Michigan Consortium of Botanists

Today, Anna, her graduate students Derek and Rachel, lab students Hillary, Jacob and Lissi, and I (Herbarium assistant) attended the 3rd Annual Meeting of the Michigan Consortium of Botanists at Hillsdale College!

The Meeting included talks by Ranessa Cooper (Hillsdale College), Anna Monfils (Central Michigan University), Tim Evans (Grand Valley State University), Catherine Yansa (Michigan State University) and Tony Reznicek (Univetsity of Michigan).

I particularly found the meeting very interesting because it emphasized the importance of digitization of small herbaria. I could understand a lot better the process and institutions involved in this initiative, which was essential for me because that is what I am going to be doing the whole summer!

I also got to know better how the Michigan Consortium of Botanists (MiCOB) is organized,  as well as their work and goals! I got very fascinated about it and I decide to join as a student representative! Hopefully, I will be able to help by analyzing the different subjects through a student perspective !

Check out MiCOB's website it is a great resource for Botanists in Michigan and the Great Lakes area:
http://micob.org/

Emilie

No comments:

Post a Comment