Friday, May 18, 2012

Week 2: Listing Herbarium Specimens

This week I started listing the specimens the CMC Herbarium currently possesses so that we can organize better and update label information.  I will be performing this task until our digitizing equipment is up and running!

I was able to list and verify 1175 specimens this week, and this is just one column of one of the many cabinets we have!
Cabinet 1

 It is very tiring job, but I enjoy it a lot because I get to look and analyze different plants as well as improve my plant taxonomy skills!

 One of the 1175 specimens I checked!
This experience exposed me to different types of specimens (old, new, well conserved, not very well conserved, etc.) and I already have some favorites, like the lady fern (Athyrium filix-femina) below!
Lady Fern
Thanks and happy weekend!

Emilie

No comments:

Post a Comment