Friday, June 22, 2012

Annotating Specimens

Hello Everyone!

This week I focused on producing annotation labels and glueing them on specimens that had the scientific name and/or the family name changed.

According with Simpson (2010) on his book "Plant Systematics," an annotation label "verifies or changes the identity of a specimen or that documents the removal of plant material from the specimen." Also, everytime a researcher loans specimens from ah Herbarium and uses it for research, the specimen has to be annotated.

Usually, annotatioa labels are permanent and are glued above the standard Herbarium label. It is important that an annotation label contains the name of the herbarium, the name being changed (species, family or both); the name of who determined it and the determination source.

We started by annotating the specimens on our first cabinet. It contains our non-vascular plants, ferns and allies. Many of them were collected and indentified in the 60's , therefore lots of name changes (and annotations) had to be made!

Here are some pictures of the labels!

Annotation for a specific name change

Annotation for Family name change

I really enjoy checking name changes and annotating the specimens! I feel I am learning so much about plant taxonomy these days, and for me it is definetely the beggining of the realization of a goal I had for myself! Also, after annotating the entire cabinet 1, I think I am on my way to becoming a fern expert ;)

Thanks for reading!

Emilie

Reference Cited

Simpson, Michael George. Plant systematics. 2. ed. Amsterdam [u.a.: Elsevier Acad. Press, 2010.    Print.



No comments:

Post a Comment